As mentioned in my previous blog, Search Engine Optimization is divided in 2 parts: On-Page and Off-Page SEO.
After preparing and optimizing your web pages with On-Page SEO (read my previous article), you can start working in the popularity of your site with Off-Page SEO:
Off-Page SEO is about the activities you do to promote and popularize your website.
- Submit your site’s url “carefully”. I am AGAINST submitting to 1000’s of useless directories and using software that promises multiple submissions. Nonetheless, submitting to quality directories (count with one hand) and sites related to your field is a good way to put your name – and url – out there. The key here is quality over quantity.
- Prepare Press Releases and send to Online PR sites. A press release about your website’s launch, a new contract or a special event can be released to different PR websites, who will distribute the news to various online news outlets.
- Article Submissions. Create a short article on your area of expertise and submit it to article directories to be published with links to your site. Your article might also be picked up and published on other websites bringing additional traffic.
- Multiple blog platforms. Set up different versions of your blog on different blog networks like WordPress.com, Blogger and Xanga with links back to your website.
- Comments on Blogs. But don’t just spam for links; focus on building a relationship with other bloggers by providing relevant, useful comments.
- Collaborate with other sites that complement your area of expertise and let your site be linked from these sites. This is a more professional approach to reciprocal linking.
- Create Social Media Profiles. When creating social media profiles, you will include your web address company name and branding making your site more popular. Then, with the use of social media, you will find an additional channel that will bring traffic to your site.
- Social Bookmarking. Social bookmarking websites like Delicious, Digg or Stumbleupon are often crawled by search engines and their links help with your site’s popularity and listing.
- Create a useful Tool, or Widget for your target audience and make it available for free in your website.
- Hold contests with an interesting prize and provide mechanisms to help spread the news: email to a friend, like this, tweet this, blog this, etc.
Much more can be done to improve your ranking and popularity, but this list is a good staring point. Don’t forget to monitor your progress; a good analytics system will give you valuable information on your traffic, trends and efficiency of your web efforts.
Don’t forget to optimize your web site, read my previous article: On-Page Search Engine Optimization.